I finally looked at all my retirement accounts today. While not totally decimated, the 30% + drop in some of them made the 22% drop in others seem not so bad even though it is. The worst hit was Vanguard and the second worst was my work account with Merrill Lynch. I left Vanguard alone for now and reallocated ML and then decided to contribute another 2% per check to try and buy low and save high for that elusive future retirement. I'm glad I'm not retiring today because it wouldn't happen.
Cruising the Danube
Life on the river often means spots where I can't get a good wifi connection so I'm a bit behind on blogging. I'm going to do this one fast and then get more detailed on the last two stops. I'm sailing with AMA Waterways and the ship is the AmaVerde as seen from the dock in Vidin. Usually I share a bigger cabin with a friend but for this trip we decided to splurge and get our own cabin. Here's my little home for the week. Most of Thursday was on the ship as we sailed from Bulgaria to Serbia. This lock is the second gate of the Iron Gates. Looking over at the dam on the river. View from my cabin. The water is just below the window. There are only three decks on this ship and I'm on Level 3.
I am ignoring all my bank statements - it is too depressing, but I might also move some money from a money market account into the Vanguard funds knowing that in 10 or 20 years it will be a good investment.
ReplyDelete