Lincoln

Spielberg, Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln. It must be good right? Given that Spielberg's movies sometimes go on too long I wasn't sure about Lincoln but since it was right at 2.5 hours, it was the Christmas Day movie. I like that the story centered around the 13th amendment and stuck with that period of time. Lincoln as a lifetime epic movie has been done many times and it was refreshing to focus on one thing. For me, I thought the work that took place and the back dealings to get the votes interested and it's probably still similar in Washington today.

Lincoln is well told with only a few of the usual embellishments to show sides of history that we might not know about. Mary Todd Lincoln's fights with her husband, their son Tad's run of the house, members of Congress are all given consideration. I can see why both Day-Lewis and Sally Field were nominated for Golden Globe awards.

Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens was for his role in passage of the 13th amendment. I'm not a history buff so I had to look him up and see what was fact, what was supposed, and what was in-between. For brief history of Thaddeus see: http://www.stevensandsmith.org/index.php/info/thaddeus_stevens/

While plodding a bit at times (to me), Lincoln is fully on speed during the debates and dealings of getting the votes to abolish slavery. History buffs, especially Civil War history, will probably love this movie and the time go by fast. I think it's more entertaining than Spielberg's War Horse, and in all fairness, I did go looking up history after I saw the movie.

And if a movie makes you think and research history, then that's the sign of a good movie. Most adults will enjoy Lincoln, children will be bored. For Library of Congress documents relating to this time go to: http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/CivilWarRecon.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog