The Grey

The Grey was the movie trailer that I rated on the Nielsen survey back in December. My response to the survey was it looked like it would be lame but I'd probably see it since it had Liam Neeson. Predictably, The Grey is a long romp through Alaska when all the elements want to kill you. The trailer depicted this almost as a man against wolf movie, with the wolves looking almost supernatural. Oh I wish. A werewolf movie would have been more entertaining. (Time to see the next Underworld)

What we have instead is a few rough and gritty Alaska men surviving a plane crash only to find themselves struggling to stay alive in bitter cold, lack of food, and a pack of wolves that seem bent on revenge. We follow our small band as they fight more with each other and face really no good odds at all against the wolves. Short version, it's boring. I found myself looking at the snow and mentally shopping for a trip to the Russian winter. We stretched to make sure that our characters did improbably things to stay safe only to find (gasp!) the wolves were way ahead of them. Seriously, no wolf or audience could have anticipated that some of this stuff could have happened outside of a werewolf movie.

The Grey is two hours of your life that you will never get back. Two hours where surfing the net and facebooking would provide a better use of time. The guy in front of me texted constantly during this movie and no one was even bothered. We were all wishing our phones were on too. What did I like? Liam Neeson. This movie is best suited for a late night showing with a wild crowd that will cheer or boo either the men or the wolves, depending on the collective mood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list