$19.50 for a movie?

OMG and this is in Carlsbad! After 6 weeks in the theaters, I decided I wanted to see The Hunger Games last night. Secret Theater had it at 7:30 and the new Cinepolis in La Costa had it at 5:00 pm. I hadn't been to the La Costa theater since the rebuild so I decided to check it out.  First sign of trouble, nice plush seats in a waiting area where the old box office used to be. Second sign of trouble, a bazillion employees. Fatal sign, $19.50 please! Well I was there.

What you get for $19.50 is to choose your own seat. That's great if your group arrives together not so great if you are buying separate and planning to meet. Seats are big and plush, aisles are wide. Less seats means less people so that's why you pay for two.  Theater ushers now double as waiters and take food orders and bring it to you. That means lots of walking, stalking, and talking going on around you. Luckily for me, Hunger Games was way over 2 hours so I got my money's worth and stubbornly stuck around for all the credits.

As I left, I did notice a redeeming factor - the bar with Ballast Point on tap. I don't want to drink before or during a movie but a nice beer afterwards with friends could be fun. I didn't notice the price of a beer but my guess is Happy Hour pricing it is not.

As for The Hunger Games, I liked it. Fairly true to the book, I liked the adaptation and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. Was it worth $19.50? No but lesson learned about Cinepolis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list