Nothing in this house is ever easy. Nothing. The latest example is the whole sink faucet fiasco. Normally my house can be in a state of disrepair and it doesn't bother me. But that's just me. I have friends coming to stay over for a week or two and sometimes, you just have to own up to a mess and fix it. This is that story.

About 3 weeks ago, my bathroom faucet started to leak. I thought, "I can fix it!" I went to Home Depot and bought a bag of washers and a wrench and went to work. I promptly broke something and made it worse. I decided to turn off the water to the sink and I realized I now had a leak from the pipes under the sink. The bag of washers were no help at all. This was going from bad to worse quickly. At this point, I turned off the water and decided that the best course of action was to ignore the whole thing. After all, I have a downstairs bathroom.

After 2 weeks of this, Homer agreed to replace the faucet for me and see what he could do about the leak. I returned to Home Depot and bought a nice new faucet and happily took it home where it sat unopened for another week. So on Sunday, Homer came over and went to work. Since his reward was going to be food and beer, I called Ms. Kitty and invited her to hang out and scrapbook and then go to Karl Strauss with us, which she of course, was up for.

Sunday began well. Ms. Kitty and I scrapbooked and drank wine and watched "Killer Tomatoes." Homer disappeared upstairs and went to work. From time to time, we'd hear noises of things breaking or falling, which we ignored. There were a couple of exclamations from Homer but they also could be ignored. About 90 minutes later, Homer had finished with the faucet and it looked good. All appeared to be well so he started on the pipes. A few minutes later, we hear "Karen, you better get up here!" I ran upstairs to find Homer surrounded by water and the sink seemed to be the cause of the water. As I took this in, Ms. Kitty called out "Karen, you better get down here!" With equal haste, I ran back downstairs to find Ms. Kitty staring at the light fixture that was rapidly filling up with water. Hmmm. Never seen that before. Also, there was water coming from the wall and another drip from the ceiling. Hmmm.

Luckily I have a lot of towels, most of them acquired at baseball games. I tossed several around downstairs and turned off the circuit breaker for the light. I went back upstairs with a bucket and more towels. Homer decided to stop the project and we turned off the water to the sink again. Ms. Kitty decided to retreat from the water and went back to scrapbooking. I went and took down the light fixture and emptied out the water and took out the light bulb.

We were done. Bring on the beer.

The three of us went to Karl Strauss and had our beer and lunch. It was good.

We returned to my place and checked the mess. It was all as we left it with no new surprises. The next day I called a plumber and he came out and fixed the piping problem and all was well. I still haven't replaced the light bulb downstairs but I have to deal with it soon. After all, it's only one week before the first guest arrives.

The bag of washers has been relegated to the utility drawer where I put all things fix-it related but never used.

It's a full drawer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list