The Runaways

Joan Jett kicks ass in her first band - The Runaways. The movie follows the early years of how The Runaways came to be the first big all female rock band, the drama, and the eventual demise of the young rockers. Not for the prude or faint of heart, this movie's opening sequence is unexpected and sets up the tone for the rest of the movie. Teenage tough rocker girls who live the 70's life of sex, drugs, and rock, it is not sweet but very much raw and in your face.

Which makes me wonder, how did anyone survive the 70's? But, I digress.

Kristen Stewart transformed herself as Joan Jett. No sign of Twilight Bella existed, Stewart made me believe she was Joan. Dakota Fanning was good as Cherie Currie and while sometimes I saw Dakota, other times I was impressed at the role she took on. By the way, if you watch this movie and are thinking "those girls are too young to do that" then this movie is not for you.

Who will like this movie? Anyone who was a teenage boy or girl that liked The Runaways or Joan Jett. I think this movie would appeal to today's teens but the R rating is keeping them out unless they sneak in the theater.

The Runaways is interesting from a historical perspective but not especially engaging. I didn't feel sadness when Cherie left the band or happiness when Joan finally pens her number one song. I left wondering how they managed to live and how much was true vs. embellished storytelling. The music is good, the story is tough but it was life for the girls of The Runaways.

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:44 AM

    I thought Micheal Shannon did a great job playing Kim Fowley, who should have a movie made based on his life.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon was good. He must have had a fun time playing Fowley and I agree, a Fowley movie would be worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog