There's a lot to blog about today. I'm back from NYC, where Mondo and I had a great time. We saw Spamalot, (I loved it) went to Yankee Stadium and watched the Red Sox beat the Yankees, we splurged at Tavern on the Green, and the whole weekend was fun. More on that later this week because I came home bruised and sore, from the soon to be infamous moment where Mondo almost got me killed!

First, I must backtrack. Mondo and I really want to go on The Amazing Race. We both travel a lot and always get where we're going but in a round-about sort of a way. Together, we seem to be in a state of perpetual confusion, which is odd since we're both intelligent beings. (mostly) And, we'd make great TV. CBS are you reading?

Back to the present story. Mondo used to live in NYC. She knows the subway system well. Last year when we went there, I never bothered paying attention to where we were going because Mondo always put us on the right train, in the right direction. So I thought that this year it would be even easier to get around.

I was wrong.

It started Saturday night at JFK airport. We couldn't find the quick way out of the airport. We ended up on the inner airport loop and started to loop. Mondo figured this out and hopped off the train. I followed. We jumped on the next train. We jumped off. And then we jumped right back on again. Decisions, decisions. Luckily, we made the right decision. The transfer to the E train went smooth and we popped out right next to our hotel. End of Day 1 Train adventure.

The next day, we were off and on the trains again. Up to Manhatten, to Yankee Stadium, back to Chelsea. Several times that day, Mondo announced "we're on the wrong train!" and she jumped off and I followed. Sometimes we jumped right back into the exact same car that we had just vacated. But it all worked out.

Then came Monday. We had walked around for miles on Sunday and Monday. Our feet were getting tired and we decided to take the train to Central Park. We were on our way to Tavern on the Green via Strawberry Fields. We got on the train. There were the usual adventures, people selling candy, people talking to themselves, tourists, sailors, and locals. As usual, I assumed Mondo was on top of things and I didn't pay attention to our route. We were sitting down and doing the usual staring at the advertisements.

Suddenly, Mondo stood up and intently stared at the route map. I thought she was checking our stop and didn't think about it until she bolted for the door. Without warning, I might add. What!?! I stand up and go to the other side of the train car. Mondo is in the open door and she's just looking at me. Then she gets out right as the doors were closing.

In NYC, the doors don't have a sensor to keep them open if a person is standing in the door.

I didn't know that. As the doors closed and Mondo went out, my only thought was "I'm not staying here by myself!" and I proceeded to squeeze through the rapidly closing doors.

The doors didn't stop.

I'm now stuck between the doors. I start to push. (No one helps) I'm sure I looked like an idiot but there was no going back. Most of my body is out the doors when they close a little bit more. My right foot is now stuck in the doors. I'm losing balance and still no one will help open the doors but I can feel all the eyes watching me.

I was slightly panicked but a lot more embarassed. My foot is still stuck and it's getting tighter. My left leg buckles under and I go down, with still one foot in the door and now the other one is twisted under me. No one helps and everyone is still staring at my foot. Sheer determination gets me out of that door. I get up and refuse to turn around. Mondo is looking at the car like she wants to go back on. There is no way in all the universe I'm getting back on that car in my current state of humiliation. My foot hurts. I'm sort of in shock. And I'm still really embarassed. We decide to walk to Central Park. Good move.

Later that night, I realize my shoe is torn. At least my feet are intact.

This morning, when I got up to go to the airport, I almost fell down again. I guess my left leg & foot were a little bit more banged up from fall than I realized. Oddly, the foot that was stuck doesn't hurt at all. I'm limping along today and if I had to run to save my life I don't think that I could do it. My knee and foot are bruised and swollen and I've discovered strange indentations in them. But I'm ready to move on.

I'm telling you...we'd be great TV.

Comments

  1. me and rabiah want to do amazing race as well! we are going to the next auditions in LA... you should come and audition with us!! it's really more of an interview process than an audition really, but you should do it with us! :) i'm glad you had fun in NYC... sorry about the subway door thing, but if it makes you feel better, i LIVED in NYC for 5 years and there were times when i got stuck in the door too... it's really annoying. but they have attendents on the train watching the doors to make sure that they don't drive off with someone halfway in the door... so you wouldn't have actually been killed or anything. and the finland bit in the programme sound hilariously funny! i wanna experience it SO bad! i miss new york. thanks for letting me live through you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mid-Trip Relocation Day