Blog Action Day - a day late

Yesterday was Blog Action Day and this year's topic is poverty. Having missed the official blog date due to work, I think that speaks somewhat for itself that poverty is an easy topic to overlook or forget for most of us.

In the US, most of the people below our poverty line are still way ahead of people in most of the world. Here, we have access to free, clean drinking water through water fountains in parks, the beach, malls, etc. While not enough to sustain a person on, it is still 100% better than what people living in refugee camps in Darfur experience as they have to trek a couple miles through hostile situations to scoop up dirty, unhygienic water.

Yes, poverty can make us fat by choosing generic mac n' cheese as a low budget meal, or the value menu at fast food. We have health problems and obesity as a result but at least most people no matter how poor have a full stomach. When I toss out 1/2 of my burger bun to save calories, I always think about how someone else in the world would be desperate for that bun.

Because I've been running around this week like crazy, I forgot to participate on Blog Action Day. Half the time I really am annoyed by work but I remind myself that many people can only dream of having my stress and the corresponding good lifestyle that goes with my job.

Poverty. We all need to take the time to remember those who are invisible to our world and find ways to make the world a better place.

Comments

  1. A most excellent post, very thoughtfully laid out, especially on why our poor are obese.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog