Palm tree - day 4. This morning I met Miss Tokelau, yet another island group that I had never heard of. Miss Tokelau told me that Tokelau is made up of a series of Atolls and her island had a population of 3000. The system is a New Zealand territory. I'm not sure which of the atolls that Miss Tokelau is from but she told me her home is beautiful. No airplanes go there and the ship from Western Samoa saild twice a month but there is no regular schedule. I looked this up and there's a warning that only seaworthy folk should attempt the ocean crossing due to rough seas and crowded travel conditions on deck. I guess it will be a long time before I ever see the Tokelau atolls.

Comments

  1. These small islands you keep learning about are so small they don't even show up using Google Maps! I have never been to any island in the South Pacific. Maybe November of 2010?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google Earth shows more of these small islands. Also, it seems that there is a National Park in American Samoa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:12 PM

    November is the start of the hot and rainy season, so it would depend on the island. I was at the other end of town yesterday near the visitor center for the National Park. It's basically a giant rainforest and not an organized trail area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:26 PM

    I still need to go there someday.

    OB

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I get a 4th trip here, I'm making a day trip to Western Samoa. Someone might as well join me. Long flight and long time commitment for the journey though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog