The Trojan Women

Not a movie this weekend but a play. The Trojan Women by Euripides takes place right after the fall of Troy and centers on the fate of the women. The men after all, are quite dead and the women are being divided up as slaves. It's Greek, it's tragic, and no one has a happy end. Lots of wailing and crying, the women are fighting to maintain any shred of hope but have none and rightfully so. I'm not going to go into the details of the play because you either like Greek plays and will look it up or you don't care.

What I did enjoy was The Lab and the ion theater company. Located in Mission Gorge right off of Mission Gorge Rd. and by the Trolley Stop, there's a small theater tucked into office and storage space buildings. Because the theater is small, every seat is good. Because this is a theater run by people who love plays and the production of the plays, the group works hard to put on a good show.

The Trojan Women held my interest for the 95 minutes without my mind wandering to work. My mind wandered a couple of times as I got bored with all the wailing about but that's just me. While I wouldn't recommend this play for everyone, meaning almost everyone I know, I really did like the ion theater and based on my experience last night, I would come back again for another show.

If interested - www.iontheater.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list