Astro Boy

Of all the movies to choose from, I found myself compelled to see Astro Boy. My only previous contact with Astro Boy has been to make fun of him so it was the curiosity facto that got me in. I've never read the Manga but I know Astro has himself a following.

Who is this movie for? For sure small children under the age of 6. That group was 100% quiet from the opening scene to the final scene when they got loud again and cheered and applauded Astro Boy.

Fans of Anime will like this since the background was stunning with the blades of grass individually blowing and the pastel mountain floating in the background. Fans of Astro Boy will probably like this but I say that with caution since I just admitted I don't know the character.

What to like? A robot boy with human memory and emotion. Robots in general. Clearly defined good guys and bad guys. A simple story to follow. Somewhat endearing. Mostly the animation.

The basic idea I took away is the usual - utopian societies are wrong and we are doomed to return to earth. Robots eventually will overcome their programming and learn to think for themselves. What makes Astro Boy unique is in the manner of the storytelling.

What not to like? Well if you're not 6 or an animation fan, skip it. The worst thing about Astro Boy were the trailers which were 100% comprised of movies that I will never see and make me glad that I'm not a parent and have to watch them with my kids.

Hmmm. In retrospect I believe that I liked Astro Boy simply because compared to the trailers, Astro Boy took on award-like proportions.

All said and done I won't but the DVD but I'd probably watch Astro Boy on the airplane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog