Nine

Nine was on my list to see before I read all the critic reviews. I haven't read anything positive about the movie yet it has been nominated for several awards and that made me wonder what was so good in a movie so bad. So off I went in search of the answer.

Daniel Day Lewis stars as Guido, an Italian film director and seducer, who has lost his way. The music numbers serve as his imagination of how a scene should be or as how he views his own life. Whatever, the music is white noise and serves no purpose other than to showcase the costumes.

Who is good in this movie is Penelope Cruz who is the only female that has something to do that shows her as a person rather than a one dimensional character. Cruz was the only life in Nine and her Golden Globe nomination is deserved. Everyone else was average.

What I found interesting is that several people were offended by the suggestive erotic nature of Guido's life and left the theater. Nine has no nudity, one sex scene under a blanket and only suggested at that and everything else is a mix of dialogue (all word play), costumes, and imagination. I guess the people who left had quite an imagination! They left to soon and missed being offended by the Catholic priest who confessed to enjoying movies that the Vatican banned. Something for everyone I guess.

The audience was 94% female and more people were in the theater than I expected. I wouldn't make this a movie choice unless I had seen all else and it has to be better than Alvin and the Chipmunks but I could be wrong about that. I can only recommend this for people who are fans of movie make-up and costuming because that part of the production was better than the whole of Nine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list