The Princess and the Frog

My first impulse was to pass on this movie and save it for an airplane. Upon learning that it was Disney's first hand drawn animated movie in several years, I changed my mind and set off for the theater.

With a few deviations from the basic plot, the story is still girl kisses frog. frog turns into prince and they live happily ever after. That's about all you need to know. Updated a bit with New Orleans as a back drop and voodoo practicians acting as both the villian and the good fairy the animation is fun to look at and watch. I'd give it some effort for not being too annoying with singing and slapstick animal characters but I didn't love the movie. I had the sense that this was a set-up for the next Broadway musical, an addition to New Orleans Square at the theme parks, and DVD spin-offs.

The target audience seemed to be about 5 years of age. The small girl behind me was tired and bored but other kids were so into the movie they were running to the front of the theater to stand in front of the screen. The same kid ended up leaping like a frog after the movie so I guess it wasn't the prince or the princess that interested her.

Who should go see this? If you've got small children, then you need to be there. If you're a Disney animation fan then see it on the big screen because the animation deserves the effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list