Today I took the tour that almost wasn't. I had booked a tour of Old Cairo that was supposed to happen on Saturday afternoon but for whatever random reason, the bus never arrived and the tour was canceled. I rebooked for Sunday morning with low expectations that the tour wouldn't happen so I was pleasantly surprised when the bus showed up only 25 minutes late. There were 3 people on the tour, a couple from Melbourne and myself. It made for a perfect outing.

The basics of this tour were to see something other than ancient Egypt. The tour began at the citadel or fortress that was built 1700 years ago to keep out the crusaders. Later a mosque was built inside the complex and named after Mohamed Ali who brought Islam to Cairo. The mosque was build in the 7th century and the inside is patterned after the Blue Mosque in Istanbul.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list