Mauritius

Stamp collecting isn't something that I think of and didn't believe a whole play could revolve around stamps but Mauritius does that. The back story is the Mauritius One Penny & Two Penny rare stamps that resurface after a death and impair any reunion between two half sisters. What follows is a tale of stamp collectors, obsession, and the violent extremes that some people resort to in order to obtain the coveted prize. Who gets the stamps and how is the suspense of Mauritius.

The Cygnet Theater Company's production on the Rolando Stage was extremely well cast and each actor brought believability of the character to life. The plot was easy to follow and the only drawback I had was that I didn't like anyone in this world of stamps. Maybe that's why I don't collect - too much boredom as one hunts for the trophy. The sets were well done and made a nice transition between a home and a collectible shop and the theater had great sound. I was entertained for the two hours.

I'll remember the story of the One Penny & the Two Penny for longer than I'll remember the details of the play. I don't know if that's good or bad but each of the 5 characters must have described at least once why these stamps are so valuable. If you're so inclined, Mauritius does hold the interest and I didn't think about work so that says a lot for how much I was into the story. Once again, San Diego theater shines!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list