The Phantom Menace 3D

The faded ticket stub reads 27 May 77 $1.50. That was the day that changed the lives of my group of friends forever. We were part of the original Star Wars fans who sat in line for hours, multiple time, memorizing scenes (still quoted today) and having a great time. I have almost every theater ticket stub from over the years for all the movies from various states where I've seen Star Wars. From parody plays to concerts, conventions and the like. Even though today with the new movies it's a love-hate relationship there was no doubt in my mind that I'd be seeing Phantom Menace 3D.

And so I did. What can I say? It's still a disappointment in that it could have been so much better. Did 3D enhance anything? Not in the way I thought it would. The underwater scenes, lightsaber duel (still the best ever) and the pod-racing weren't better with 3D. Where it shown was in small details, the glowing lights on Queen Amidala's dress, the random scenes of Tatooine, the senate and the background races all had elements that could be observed in 3D that don't seem to stand out on the regular screen. It was nice seeing Qui-Gon for a couple of hours and a young Obi-Wan.

The theater was fairly full and a good portion of the audience was under 10 years of age and had probably never seen Phantom Menace on the screen.  While this movie was not for me, it was for them and it's good to see a new generation of fans being born.

Diehards - just go see it. Support the franchise, remember the fun. Everyone else, it's probably okay to skip. After all - John Carter of Mars is just around the corner!

And yes, my ticket stub from this screening is now in my Star Wars scrapbook!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog