Termite Treatment Details

The termite treatment contract has tons of small print. I read and re-read and was still finding new stuff the day before the tenting. Important details that people should know:

1) If your house is not fully free-standing, you have to have your neighbor's consent for the worker's to enter adjoining yards. My garage wall is next to my neighbor's driveway. We share a common fence that had to be broken for the tent to wrap around my house. I'll see the damage later this week. It's a good thing I told the  what was going on.

2) Water and plants. If you want to not kill plants, you have to soak the yard around the house to a depth of 6 inches otherwise the poison kills the plants. This is a lot of a water and takes up to 4-6 hours of soaking. I'm pretty sure my plants will die. I'll let you know.

3) More water. This is used to fill up the basin of the tent to act a weight to keep it in place. They dig up your yard for the water to drain.

4) Electricity. Fans are running the whole time and your power is used for the process.

5) You have to double bag all food and medication. If you have a lot of food, start throwing parties because it is a lot easier to eat than to pack. Anything not protected gets thrown away.

6) Costs. I'm not sure yet. My house is almost 2300 sq. feet and the base cost of the tenting was $2100. This goes up or down depending on the size of a house. It's like buying a car. The tent can cost X but if you buy the warranty and get annual treatment the next cost is Y.

7) Terminix has a check for $2439 from me.  Of course I signed up for the annual treatment. I'll post my water and electric bill increases next month.

8) This is all for drywood termites. Prices change if you have the subterranean termites or worse, both.

9) Gas is turned off during the process. You have to have the gas company return when the "all clear" is posted and relight all the pilot lights.







Comments

  1. So your next house will be made of brick and stone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list