If I can stop you from seeing "Closer" then I will consider my $6.50 and 100 minutes of my life a worthwhile investment. Going into the movie, I thought it was about 2 couples and their relationships good & bad. Since 4 leads are all good actors, I figured, why not? Why not indeed!

I can see why it's been nominated for Golden Globes. Awards are always given out to movies that feature unhappy & miserable people set up in contrived and ridiculous circumstances. Happy endings are out of the question except for the happy ending when I made my exit from the theater.

It turns out that "Closer" is really about how people manipulate each other by using sex as a weapon instead of love or respect. This is demonstrated to us over and over again through chat room sex, verbal discussion of sex, stripclub teasing, and anything but actual sex. This has to be one of the first movies about sex that is minus the sex.

Our four characters played quite well by Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, Jude Law, and Clive Owen are all trying to find love and happiness but they all seem to deny it. We spend the next improbable 4 years or so following their meetings, datings, and break-ups. The actors do a great job but the story just isn't believable and the characters are too cold to relate too. Who wants to know these people? Not me and probably not you. This was my first true movie mistake of movie week. I hope it was my last.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:32 AM

    Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, and Jude Law?

    You would have to poke me with a sharp stick to get me close to that movie.

    Mondo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd be better off taking the sharp end of the stick and going to the doctor than seeing this movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list