The last 6 days have been tough but I have met some wonderful people in the process. The service was on Monday and it seems to have gone over quite well. I did the eulogy and both my brothers and one of my aunts spoke as well. I invited people up to the podium to speak if they wished and a few took me up and said some nice things about my dad. I think he would have been surprised to see the crowd and hear the comments. We had a mix of laughter and tears and then headed over to the house to get to know each other better and share more stories.

Yesterday we had the rest of the details fall into place and we can now begin closure which really means beginning to ease back into the real world.

In an effort to begin that process, let me say that I am still annoyed that "Enterprise" has been cancelled and that TAR 8 is casting families. Some things never change, they just get placed on hold. People have been asking how I am, and all I can say is that I'm still me, just a sadder me right now. I am looking forward to a new Survivor this week and hopefully it will be good. I'm not going to try to get caught up on the last batch of movies that I missed but luckily, most of them sucked anyway!

By the way, if you didn't know, it's FeBREWary. Get out there and have a good beer!

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:19 PM

    Karen,

    I just wanted to let you know again that I really enjoyed listening to the stories you told about your father. I really feel like I know him much better and that he was a wonderful father to you and your brothers. My father is 86 and is suffering from heart failure and I know that there will be a time where I will need to have the strength, like you showed, to get up in front of a group of people and talk about my father. i just wanted to thank you again for letting me celebrate in your fathers life and though your stories.

    Mark Guiffrida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark,

    Thanks for the nice words! I had two hard moments up there. The first one was when I realized that everyone was staring at me and hoping I would say something intelligent. The second hard moment was reading High Flight because it was also dedicated to a friend and to my father's co-workers who were in the room. I had a panic attack at the end because I realized that I didn't know how to formally end a service.

    At any rate, I'm sure you will do your father justice when the time comes. For now, enjoy his company.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list