Banks, Trusts, DMV....

Today was my get organized day! I had the good fortune to have today off work as a Spring Break holiday. It can't be called Easter or Good Friday but a day off by any other name is still fine by me. After being gone most of the week a small mountain of mail awaited me today. I thought I might as well start on it and get organized at the same time.

First up - 3 different checks for very small amounts from Farmers Insurance. It seems I overpaid $7 for my truck insurance and for some reason I had a rebate on my condo insurance and there was another refund from my father's truck insurance. Okay, this would all be cashed.

Next - an insurance check for a larger amount that I decided to put in a 7 month CD at a different bank and let it gain some interest and add a few dollars.

As long as I was going to my bank and opening an account at another, I figured this was the perfect time to put them in the name of my trust. After all, I went to all the trouble a couple of years ago to form a trust I might as well put the darn thing to good use.

And today is day 42 since my father's death and after 40 days the DMV will allow heirs to transfer vehicles.

3 Simple Stops.

My bank: The Farmer's Insurance checks were cashed okay. The teller wanted my father's signature on the third check (it had both our names) but I had to explain that they weren't likely to get his signature. She cashed the check. Then I went over to Customer Service and was told they needed more of my trust info than what I brought with me to the bank. I was given a form to start the process and I drove back home to get the entire book. I filled out the form (which was confusing) and went back to the bank. 30 minutes later my accounts were transfered over. Stop One - Complete.

The next bank: Other brother found a great 7 month CD deal at a local bank so I decided to open an account and stick the next check way for 7 months. This bank didn't even need the trust book, they just took my info and had a notary document everything. The rep knew what she was doing and it was great! I'll go back in a month and start another CD in a separate account. Stop Two - Complete.

DMV: Thank goodness for AAA because I didn't have to go to the DMV at all. There'a DMV office inside AAA branches where the employees are nice to you and smile. We had some minor details to attend to, was this day 40 or not? Well we can do the math and it's day 42. I guess some things never change. This form gave me the most trouble because I kept signing my name where I was supposed to sign my father's name and I ended up with the most criss-crossed pink slip and DMV transfer status ever! Luckily, it was accepted mistakes and all. $15 later it was done and the best part is that the current registration stays until October.

With those 3 tasks done I went back home and called Other Brother for advice on filling out the next form. I was satisfied that I had done it right and stuck it in the mail. Now I could go out and eat, exercise (a concept that I've forgotten recently) and get groceries. I returned a few hours later to see the same piles of paper and one very important one that I had forgot to mail in with the form I had just sent in a few hours ago. Luckily, I was able to fax it to the IRA rep and all should be well.

If there's anything to learn in all this, it's that even the most organized person has trouble with endless piles of legal documents. Keeping your affairs in order is hard work. Before I finally relax for the evening, it's time to balance the checkbook and file all the multiple documents from Farmer's Insurance.

May your Friday be most excellent!

Comments

  1. I have much of the same to do and no time to do it. Sleep comes first, then fun and finally paperwork.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog