Corpse Bride

Corpse Bride was on my movie list and even though I had lost some of my enthusiasm for seeing the movie, I decided to give it a chance. Tim Burton rarely fails to entertain me with his live action movies but his animated genre has never really captured my attention. In Corpse Bride, we have the usual Johnny Depp-Helena Bonham Carter duo, and Danny Elfman provides the musical score.

The animation is fantastic, especially when it is all done with the stop-motion technique that is used for the main characters. The story is a combination of dark humor and just plain darkness. I’m not sure if it’s really a kid’s movie as the kids in the theater were pretty quiet. They might have fallen asleep.

In a world where movies are often disappointments, Corpse Bride is at least different and not a clone of other movies. If singing and dancing skeletons are your thing, then you’re in for a treat. I’m not a fan of singing in movies so while I found the skeletons amusing, it was time to be quiet already.

The animation and voice acting is far better than the script. Christopher Lee provided the voice for the pastor and his character was fun to watch. The love story and wedding set-up are simply the back-drop to get us to the world of the dead, where color and passion are found in abundance and provide a stark contrast to the gray dull world of the living. The movie arrived at the right ending at the right time and was a pleasant if uninspiring 90 minutes of my life.

Comments

  1. Corpse Bride was a good movie, despite the singing (however, Danny Elfman is always good with the music). I think adults will enjoy the movie more than kids.

    Serenity is not playing here in KW, so I'll have to wait until I return to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list