Serenity

In a perfect world, today would have been a day of eating, drinking, and watching Serenity with friends. As it was, I had two papers to finish, a suitcase to pack, and run last minute errands before I leave the country for two weeks.

But, my priorities are clear and I did go see Serenity. Now as a solid fan of Joss Whedon and the related Buffyverse, I liked the show Firefly and was sad to see it go. I realized the show was not perfect but it was quirky and had it's moments. As the full lenght feature of Firefly, Serenity takes us back into the future with the entire original TV cast.

If you liked Firefly, then you will love Serenity. No if's, ands, buts, or maybes. You will simply love the movie. If you like Sci-Fi, then you will like Serenity. The rest of you, I'm not so sure about. The movie doesn't have an all-star cast and is not the average run of the mill Sci-Fi thriller with good guys that conquer the aliens. In fact, there are no aliens at all, only humans. You don't need to know about the characters before you see the movie but without the knowledge, the emotional punches and nuances of the movie will be lost on the uninitiated.

I loved the movie. It was everything that I would ever want from a TV show brought to the big screen. I'm not sure if it will be the all out hit that the studio is hoping for. The fan base is loyal but sometimes that's not enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list