The Illusionist

Yes, it's true! After having a 6 month gap in my movie viewing habit, I finally have made it back to the theater! It took a Yuma trip to do but this season's review is on The Illusionist. This was the mystery movie since I hadn't even heard of it before and luckily it was an enjoyable if slow paced movie. The story centers around Edward Norton's magician/illusionist character and his love of the Princess Sophie. You could say it has elements of The Princess Bride without the humor or wit. This is a love story/mystery/slightly social commentary sort of a movie. Luckily the story mostly works and Edward Norton is believable as the illusionist and Jessica Biel does what she needs to do as the princess. Paul Giamatti plays the Chief Inspector who as an amateur magician, admires the illusionist but as an aspiring to power, right hand of the bad Crown Prince, the inspector is forced to disrupt life for the people he admires. Does true love win? Are the right choices made? It all depends on how much you are willing to invest in caring. I can't recommend going out and seeing this movie but if you find yourself faced with no alternates except Jackass 2, Saw 4,5, or 6, or similar, you can plop yourself in the theater with Edward Norton for a relaxing two hours.

Comments

  1. Ed Norton is one of my favorite characters, ever since I saw him in "American History X".

    But i think I'll wait to catch this one on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list