The Tax Collector always wins. There's no use fighting and even if you think you came out the winner, wait a couple of months.

For the past year, the San Diego County Tax Collector decided to go after me for unpaid taxes on our father's property. We had filed, notified, resolved, and thought that the issue was resolved. Then I would get a new notice from the tax office about unpaid taxes. This went on and on to final notice when finally, at the put a lien on my property taxes point, the Tax Collector finally said "Okay, resolved."

I retrieved my mail this week and saw two dreaded envelopes. The first was the normal property tax statement. The second was different. This one stated that since there was a difference in the value at the time of the sale to me and the sale to the previous owners, I would have to pay an additional increase in the taxes, above and beyond the newly assessed taxes. Isn't that what the taxes are supposed to take into account in the first place? Nope, this is a whole other tax. I think it's retaliation tax. At any rate, I gave up and wrote the check for the $705 supplemental tax.

Kudos to the Tax Collector. You win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list