Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1)

Taking advantage of a full weekend at home, I had to make time for Harry Potter.  Since most of the world has seen the latest installment, this is a belated review and more to compare notes.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1) has a faster pace than the previous movies and if you don't pay attention, you will be lost in teleportation.  I read the book and knew what was going on but my mind had to fill in a lot of the blanks of the story that didn't make it into the movie. Even with making the one book into two movies, a lot of the details are gone. So if you haven't read the book, good luck. Maybe hold off on seeing this movie until the last one comes out and you can do a marathon.

For fans - the kids grown up are still believable as their characters and as friends. The focus stays with the three and other warlocks, wizards, and muggles seem to be lost in the shuffle. I think this is okay since the focus is on reaching adulthood and challenges that have to be faced on your own. I felt like I didn't have time to enjoy any single moment though, since we were rushed from event to event. In the book, events were savored, drawn out, such as Harry leaving home one way and Hermione in a totally different way. Things that should have been sad, weren't because we were on to the next event. I never have been a fan of the house elves (except for wishing I had some to dust my house).

For non-fans - don't even try to grasp everything.  Just go with the ride and the person you went with will explain later. I saw this in 2D, so maybe the 3D is better but I have a feeling that parts of it are simply there to make you jump. Snake/Dinner anyone?

What I liked - it was new Harry Potter and I was happy to return to that world. Everything is set up for part two next year.

Not so great - if you don't know the back story, things of great import will not seem so important. Not really for small children, they will either be scared or bored.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog