Bucharest - Day 1

This is the last day to myself and it's been raining off and on. Not too bad except for the thunder that warns you when to head inside for a bit. There was still plenty of time to walk around Old Town Bucharest and some of the surrounding areas before the heavier rain came down. This area needs tourism and I can tell the last two years without tourists have been hard. More places are out of business and if possible, Old Town is even more run down that 4 years ago. Side street looking down at the restaurants.

This short tunnel was actually fairly clean. Quite a few people were out cleaning up and getting rid of trash. It's not like the city isn't trying. 
Shortly after the tunnel I went down a side street that I didn't recall going down before and looked over and saw an old orthodox church. Music started up, a choir was singing and I remembered it was Sunday. The mass was going on outside, not in the church and suddenly it clicked in my brain about the taxi driver telling me this was a holiday weekend. I had to look it up but for those who believe August 14/15 is St. Mary's Day and it's a national holiday in Romania.
This little cat looked so weary that I really didn't want to scare it away to look at the memorial. That and there were two local police cars parked right by the entrance so I was okay skipping this one.
Moving along, I headed out of Old Town and walked along the canal. Netflix had taken out a full building mural to promote Stranger Things. That's the upsidedown depicted there.
The rain (I know the sky looks clear here) was starting to come down again and I headed back to the hotel. To keep up the variety I went down another winding street that I hadn't been on before and came upon outdoor mass also going on at this church. Bucharest is dotted with picturesque tiny churches but this one wins for showmanship.





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list