Baltic Blog - Estonia

I had no expectations about Tallinn, Estonia. I knew it was an old city and part of the former Soviet Union. I knew it was on the Baltic. That was it. As the ship approaced the port, I could see the Russian influence of the onion domed architecture and about a bazillion churces. It was green. Lisa and I got off the ship and made our destination the high point in town. We walked up and down cobblestone streets and looked at old towers and walls. This city is a World Heritage Site for it's preservation of the old buildings. We walked up and down some more. It hit the level of ABC (another beautiful, church, country, castle) very quickly.

Then things picked up!

We sat down for a beer. The beer was good. And then we had another and I suddenly liked Estonia! I know you've been wondering "where is the beer?" It was in Tallinn! In the main square are many small outdoor cafes. You know what beer they serve by looking at the umbrellas. I walked around and looked at people's beer and made our choice based on appearances. Today's beer was A. Le Coq. I had the draft and for you SD people, it was very close to Karl Strauss Summer Gold. Lisa had the porter which was sort of like Downtown After Dark. We wanted to call Ms. Kitty to get her beer opinion but as it was early in the morning, my cell phone was on the ship, and I thought Ms. Kitty might be annoyed that we were having an afternoon drink without her, I passed.

As we drank our beer, a group of young British men tried to persuade us to join their table. Several of them were wearing the funny hats made of crochet and felt. The offer was tempting but the ship was waiting and I couldn't spend the next beer staring at felt hats. It was time to come back on board.

Right before the ship departed, the crusie director came on over the loudspeaker looking for two people. I don't know if they got on board. It's possible that they are still sitting under the red umbrellas, drinking a beer, and enjoying the company of men in hats.

Comments

  1. Drinking beer in Estonia. It sounds surreal. Twenty years ago people would have thought you were crazy if you said: "Someday I will drink a beer in Estonia."

    ReplyDelete
  2. men in felt hats... only in estonia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:28 PM

    Well, I'm a little late getting on your blog-wagon, but thanks for thinking of me in Estonia!

    Sigh... yes I wish I were there drinking djkpgoisla beer...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list