Baltic Blog - St. Petersburg

Russia is a tricky country to get into, even for cruise ship passengers. We have to book a trip through the ship and then go through customs at the port, just to get in. We're not allowed to go on our own, or ditch the guide. The passports get stamped as you go in and out, and I may end up with multiple Russia stamps due to having more than one tour. To go on your own, you have to secure a visa ($190) before you leave home. I took the easy way on this trip.

Today's shore excursion was to the Hermitage. I know this will not go over well with art lovers, but after the Louvre and Versailles, the Hermitage was one big boring blur of art! At least now I can say I've been there, done that! Since the whole 4 hours were dedicated to getting through customs, traffic, and then the museum, we were done and back on the ship at 1:30.

I finally have a chance to relax! The spa was offering 50% off specials so I had a massage (so relaxing,) wrote a couple of postcards for my non-net friends (they do exist!) and had a chance to eat again. The ship is really empty and quiet as most people are off on 8 hour city tours. I'm going off ship again tomorrow for "Murder on the Moika" a canal cruise dedicated to the death of Rasputin. Should be way cooler than today's artfest.

There are no Trek activities today, so LJ and I are off to eat at the Pinnacle Grill, the ships upscale eatery. Afterwards, maybe I'll check out the guest speaker who's talking about Viking history in the Baltic. (I know, that sounds boring too but I kind of like that stuff!)

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:32 PM

    Murder on the Moika! I'm soooo jealous. Having read every book on the Russian Revolution (not to mention owning most of them)I would love to see Rasputin's trail of demise. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog