More Street-Scene.

Every few years I go to Street-Scene and for some reason or another, I decide that it's my last year. The venue always opens 45 minutes late, the bands are the same every year, and the stages are so densly packed into small areas, it's a mob scene. At least when it was on Fifth Avenue, you could go into a normal restaurant or bar for a break. When it was moved off Fifth, there was no escape and suddenly the food and beverage prices were just to expensive.

This year the event was moved from the second weekend of September to July, and onto the stadium parking lot of Qualcomm. There were only a couple of repeat bands on the schedule and there were bands that I thought would be fun to see live. So, off I went.

Parking was available at Qualcomm for $15 but we were encouraged to take the trolley. Okay, parking at Hazard Center, $8, trolley tickets for two, $9. At $17, we're now over the parking price and it turns out, the parking lot was nearly empty.

In the past, the event was 21 and up, so everyone was carded at the gate. This year it was all ages and you had to go the the wristband line. If you missed the secret ID tent near the entrance as we did, you were going to spend at least an hour inside just to get a band. I passed on beer. I had paid to hear music, not to stand in a line.

The bands- There were three stages and the most of the sets started within ten minutes of each other. That meant either only hearing 3 bands or getting 15 minutes of each with a very long walk inbetween. I wanted my money's worth, so I chose to do the short version at each stage. First up was Hot, Hot, Heat. They have some okay songs and for a moment I thought I might buy their cd but then the other songs were boring, so I decided to save the money. From there, I heard Kasabian, from the UK, and I liked all of their stuff. I'll have to go to Amazon and check out thier cds. Not many people were at this stage, so we just sat down on the parking lot and listened until the end.

Now came the 8:30ish line-up. Flogging Molly started at 8:25 and I love their music. Irish rock that's traditional in style but with political twists. All good. At 8:40, it was time to leave and check out Black-Eyed Peas. At 9:00, still no BEP, so we trudeged down to the far stage for Garbage. I like their cd's but the one time I had seen them live, I thought they were having an off night. It turns out that their stage shows are just boring. It was time to start the process over with the 10:30ish line up.

White Stripes was after BEP's, who at some point must have finally gone on stage because now we had to wait for the stage reset. 30 minutes later, still no White Stripes. We went over to Social Distortion who were putting on a high energy performance and rocked. After 3 songs, I heard the White Stripes finally start. After 2.5 songs, of the slowest possible selections that Jack White could offer it was time to leave. I think that if I had seen the same set in a small venue, it would have been very cool. But in the stadium atmosphere, hearing Jack White sing "Jolene" just was too bizarre at the moment. It was back to Social D, for a couple more songs, and then time to check out The Killers, who were the ultimate headline that night. It turns out The Killers only have 2 good songs and the rest were just sort of there.

It was time to catch the trolley back. I have to say the crowd control was great this year and there was plenty of room. The band choices were great and there was something for everyone. Ultimately, it's just more of a hassle to go than it's worth. (Sidebar - parents, Street-Scene is not for small children and babies! Only one mom even thought to put protective earmuffs over her infant's ears!) Next year, I'll pass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list