The roof project continues.....

Supposedly, the roof project is complete and Baker Roofing Company is demanding payment in full without a final walk-thru. As of today, there are three incomplete items in the job contract. As the reluctant but forced into the job, VP of my condo association, I now get to deal with a potentially unpleasant situation. Therefore, I will vent my irritation at Baker Roofing Company on my blog and tomorrow if the situation is still unresolved, file a complaint with the BBB.

I just learned that the roofing employees were going door to door during the project to demand payment. A complaint was made to the contractor and the employees were fired. The contractor said all the workers were hired by the company and not sub-contracted out. Interesting. According to the Contractor's License, there are no employees of this company and no Worker's Comp insurance is carried. Not good.

The office staff has been bullying the condo president and the property managment company for payment. Yet there is still debris on the roof, debris all over my yard, piping that was not replaced, and no flashdown service performed on the pipes, vents, etc...

We were able to schedule a walk-thru with the contractor and the Baker Roofing Company owner.

Then I look at the contract and it states we have a 20 year manufacturer's warrenty. Huh. Baker Roofing sent over the specs on the material today and right there on page one it states "Peace of Mind.... 10-year ltd. warranty from North America's largest roofing manufacturer." 10 years, 20 years, really who would notice a decade these days?

Baker Roofing joined the BBB in November 2003. Since then, 3 complaints have been filed, 2 in the last 12 months. The complaints are listed as resolved. 2 were for service/repair issues and the other for product quality. I'm not sure what category mine will go in.

We found out today that Baker Roofing never filed a building permit with the city. We now have an illegal roof.

About 3:30 this afternoon, I heard the dreaded sound of roofers stomping about the roof. They were cleaning gutters. Someone must be under pressure from the big guns at Baker Roofing Company.

Let me just say that it's better to research the BBB before a project starts instead of after. Even a company that was established in 1912 can screw you over.

I'm going up on the roof tomorrow evening. My camera will be with me.

Comments

  1. bbb.org is a web site I know well. They listed the contractor that removed my popcorn ceiling as in good standing with a current license. Someone at work said she filed a complaint with the BBB against a business and it was rejected and then the contractor called her and basically laughed in her face. She said she filed the complaint in the wrong category or something. There are no good contractors - they all just want your money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me clarify, the contractor that worked on my ceilings did a good job, although he left his trash in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog