I Am Legend

I Am Legend with Will Smith, a dog, and a virus that mutates people into zombie-types is overall a pretty fun movie. Good, but not great since you have to overlook the fact that some of the key plot sequences are set-up by smart people doing a dumb out of character move. Once past that, the movie moves at a fast pace, tells the story of a cancer-curing drug turning deadly, and all hope and humanity lost. Perfect stuff for a holiday weekend!

Will Smith is almost always perfect in this type of role. In Legend, he's a research doctor who is determined to find a cure. Isolated for three years he's losing his grip on reality and clings to his dog, the only remaining companion in his life. The zombies are not the walking dead but created by the mutation of a vaccine and the virus mutates to travel by air or by blood (if bitten). 90% of the population is gone but 10% have natural immunity. One can only suppose they are all on another continent.

The suspense factor is high, the gore factor fairly low. There is a fast pace of events and nothing is dragged out. There are a lot of details in the background of what you might save and collect if you are left alone in the world. Overall I enjoyed the movie and would have to recommend seeing it if you are a fan of Will Smith or the zombie genre. For the record, I am okay with the zombies having super-strength powers in this movie.

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:02 PM

    Sounds like a great way to spend the holiday. Having seen this movie myself, I agree with all of your comments (I did my own mini review on my MySpace page--yes, it's true...) My favorite character? The dog!

    Ms. Kitty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list