Sweeney Todd

Having never seen the play, I can only look at Sweeney Todd on its own merit. After watching the movie, I have the underlying feeling that this production is best set on stage rather than film. Expectations are always high for a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaboration and perhaps I went into the theater with this attitude and I found the movie slow paced and lackluster at times.

Sweeney is a dark comedy murder, meat pies, and music all come together in laughter or at least a small smile. With Alan Rickman as the bad guy, there should have been some saving grace to Sweeney but it mostly falls flat. When the cockroaches are funnier than the characters, well, that should never happen.

What I liked: There were moments where I sort of laughed, Scabbers had the best role, the look of Fleet Street was visually great, and I mostly liked the story.

Not liked: Slow paced, unresolved storylines for minor characters, the feeling that something was missing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog