So long frequent flyer miles, you've been a good ride and I will miss you! Today is the unofficial end of free travel as we know it. The US carriers have announced so many restrictions, fees, and increase in miles needed to travel that mileage redemption as we've known it is essentially over.

Anyone who has excessive miles needs to start cashing out now. Frequent flyer programs are not banks and miles are not currency. At any given time the airlines can end the program, change the rules, or cease to exist. Earlier this summer I even splurged on myself and did my own free travel along with that for friends. I sensed the end was near and why not enjoy my own miles and travel for free myself?

So where to go with the remaining miles? I have enough for a Key West run on AA if Homer ever gets a weekend trip when I can go and one last blow out with Jean next year. (Jean, this serves as a 2009 notice for you, more details in December.)

And what more proof do you need that even I think the system is doomed? I booked Air Malta last night and paid for the flight on an airline that earn me nothing in terms of frequent flyer miles. Let the budget travel begin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list