Insomnia Hits

5:33 am and I've been awake since 3:06 am. At 5 I gave up and peered outside the room for the paper and started the Nescafe. I'm on cup #2. So what concerns Dubai? The world and far more about it than we ever get to know. Key pages are dedicated to Iraq (not really anti-US at all), Gaza (optimistic about Hillary, not so much on Tony Blair), Hariri tribunal (resigned but glad it's going on, and the military revolt in Bangladesh. The cover photo is of a US soldier talking to a cute Iraqi boy and both are smiling. You'd expect to see this photo in a US paper but it was unexpected here.

The currency is fluctuating and dropped while I've been here. If this keeps up, my hotel bill will be considerably less than what it would have been two weeks ago. That helps when Internet is $32 a day but it was close to $40.

The gulf water view that I have only exists because the next mega-resort housing/hotel project ran out of money and stopped construction. Even here the banks have over-extended and money is tight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog