Watchmen

Watchmen is one of the few graphic novels I've read and considered a great novel. The story of superheroes and destruction was intense and a read-thru in one session. Still, I had my doubts on how a nearly 3 hour movie could fill in the gaps and create an even better story.

I was wrong to doubt. The movie was true to and enhanced the graphic novel. The charcters were lifelike and real, not stilted as other comic/graphic characters are in their film representation.

Watchmen gives us the evolution of real people as costumed superheroes and one accident that created a real superhero. The story has it all, human nature & conflict, alternate timeline of the cold war/Nixon years, romance, rejection, redemption. Visuals and music enhance not distract from the story.

Having said all this, I recognize that Watchmen will not appeal to everyone. If you're not a fan of graphic novel style of movies, gunshots or rather multiple and excessive gunshots, blood, and superheroes - don't bother to go. Likewise if you have small children then bad move to take them. If you think you might like this movie, then go. It's best seen on the big screen and won't hold up as well on an airplane. Enjoy it.

3 hours was a bit long. I was really ready for the movie to end 20 minutes before it ended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list