Norway must have an identity crisis of sorts. There are two different worlds that exist there, the green and peaceful looking countryside and the reality of Oslo. Like any country it has it's good and bad but the contrasts side by side really struck me. Compared to other like cities along the Baltic, Oslo doesn't win any beauty contests. I stayed downtown, walking distance to the train station, city hall, and the main restaurant/shopping row. These were the views from my hotel window. The midnight sun is already with us and this is around 10:00 pm at night.
To me, this represents Oslo far more than how the rich people live which was just a short bus ride away. Below, a wealthy district on the other side of the harbor.
When you first arrive at the airport, the ride into town has this view and it is beautiful. You think, wow! this is going to be a great place. I'm sure it's perfect for skiing in the winter and cruising along the fjords in the summer but Oslo itself is facing the same social problems with drugs and alcohol as Helsinki or St. Petersburg.
For such a short trip, it feels as though I was gone for a long time. I'm completely tired from my marathon and lack of sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list