Coming home is always great! No cup of coffee tastes as good as the Starbucks brewed at home after a week of instant Nescafe or harsh brewed hotel coffee. Up at 3:00? No worries since I have my TiVo marathons of Beauty & the Geek, Top Model, and Rock of Love to watch while I sip that coffee!

The trip was great from a work point of view. I left Kuwait the least irritated that I've ever been and except for the team getting water poisoned in Cairo, we had a productive time and even some fun once in a while. I'm looking forward to a few weeks of the normal California/Mexico routine and then guess what? It's back to Kuwait in May.

The best flight route ever is Kuwait - Washington DC. No one at customs even flinches when they read my re-entry card or look at my passport. Between the military, government, and civil contractors, people on the flight have far more variety than I do in the mid-east. Going out there, the plane had a group of senators on some mission, coming home I sat next to a guy who had done a day trip to Kuwait just to go to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia for a meeting. Another guy said he flew to Afghanistan 3 times a month. It all made me look boring and I was not admitting I was there for burgers with all these people around me.

Now I have to re acclimate myself to Americans. It was strange being at the San Diego airport and seeing the swarms of Americans. It's hard to explain the return adjustment process. I went through 3 weeks worth of mail and almost 90% of it went in the recycle bin. If we want to go green, then PennySaver and other weekly non-wanted mailings need to go. Only one ball was in the yard so I guess the kids are getting better or moving onto other activities. The strawberry plants were uneaten so the mesh is working so far. I didn't see any new gopher activity. I sometimes wonder if the gophers know when I'm home and return only to taunt me.

Now it's time to go do the usual Sunday routine of homework. September can't get here soon enough!

BTW - LJ - Bermuda CruiseTrek in 2009? I'm in!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list