Wednesday. Such a day. After having put up with an increasingly painful tooth or jaw ache for the last four weeks, I finally had my dentist appointment (a month late due to travel) to get a filling. It turns out that the cavity was on the other side of my mouth and so small that there was no pain or sensitivity there. I didn't even need numbing to have the filling done and it took all of three minutes. I'm convinced I'm about to have major dental work and the dentist tells me that my teeth are fine and I'm so stressed that I'm doing the classic TMJ thing, clenching my jaw during the day and while I sleep. I guess the good news is that my teeth are fine. The bad news is, I know I'm stressed. I'm always stressed.

So after the good news from the dentist, I had a consultation visit with a career councilor. I've had one employer for decades but a number of different positions with that company. That translates to a ton of experience but I haven't a clue what to do with it. I'm employable everywhere and nowhere. The career councilor's job is to help me sort through what I like and dislike, and help me first build a picture of what I want, then help me see how to get there. We can start with this:

1) I want to be watching mindless entertainment shows at 7:00 pm at night, not proof-reading Arabic labels.

2) I want to know what it's like to wake up on a Saturday morning and not check into work. (maybe I'll practice that one in a couple of days)

3) I want to work a 12 hour day while on the road and not have to do work, after the work.

Well that was all a vent but I decided to meet with the career councilor once a month to help me focus. I think that after all these years, it's time to see what else is out there that has the cool benefits of the job I have now (there really are some) but with better hours (like a normal 40 hour week) and better pay. For now, I have to make a better list of likes and dislikes. (And return to doing homework which I took a brief break from to blog.)

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:23 AM

    Don't people from work read this?

    OB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:39 AM

    I have a killer career building tool that I'll bring next Friday. Intuit was piloting a new career path class and I was selected to go. It really helps with your likes and dislikes in a way that you don't really "think" about what you are doing - you just do it and are amazed by the outcome.

    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's highly unlikely that everyone expects me to work for 45 years at the same place. I have to do something for the next 10 years before I go sell pretzels at the ballpark during baseball season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same thing. Your boss will hear about this soon.

    I have the same problem with clinching my teeth due to stress. Last year I went to have my teeth checked for a possible root-canal and the doctor found no problems, after applying very hot and then very cold stuff to various areas in my mouth. When I catch myself Clinching my teeth, it reminds me I need to relax. My teeth hurt today from the cleaning yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:07 AM

    I clinch my teeth when I sleep. Sometimes I wake up with a sore jaw.

    OB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list