I wanted to have a happier post about Cairo and I was lucky enough to have a couple of those magic moments. Late yesterday, the fog/sand/pollution lifted slightly and as I looked out over the Nile, I almost fell off the balcony because I could actually see the outline of the pyramids! This is my third trip to Egypt and if I didn't know better, I would be convinced that the pyramids don't exist because you can never see them. I took a picture but the haze prevented the photo from turning out but the sight is breathtaking. Having been to the pyramids, I'm not missing out on anything but they are a great backdrop to look at.

Then due to being totally alone in the hotel as co-workers departed and the remaining one was still sick, I was desperate to eat something besides hotel food so I walked to the Hard Rock Cafe next door. The last time I was there it was Ramadan eve and I was one of maybe four people eating. Yesterday, it a major party for an Egyptian boy was going on and a group of what seemed like 40 children and 20 parents had center stage. The girls were all in colorful scarves, headgear, and the like and the birthday boys were face painted. The moment that was unique was watching every single waiter and waitress gather with the birthday boys on center stage and performing YMCA. Every tourist joined in either clapping, singing, or in spirit. It was fun to watch.

I returned to my room and hung out on the balcony for a while and watched the sun go down. This morning, the pyramids are still peeking out and it is a good way to end Cairo. Assuming all goes well for the next part of the day, I will find myself in Beirut this afternoon. If you don't hear from me it simply means I'm either having fun or the Internet is down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list