In my Kuwait bubble I am disconnected from my normal world of American culture. There are no mentions of Survivor, American Idol, or the daily obsession with the latest blonde who has either disappeared or found mysteriously dead. All that exists is my hotel, work, and the street that takes me from one to the other. I see the ocean but I don’t go there because the sewage smell is annoying.

This morning at breakfast I looked around at all the other business travelers and I realized that we were all in the same boat. Everyone is just marking time until their assignment is over and it’s time to move on. As Europeans, Americans, Asians, we know we’re safe in Kuwait but the social constraints are hard to deal with when you’re on your own. For me, I have 5 more days before I get to leave.

Let’s look at what’s going on right in Kuwait today. It’s interesting to note that the recent succession of the new Amir and the new Crown Prince happened with only minor squabbles in the royal family. From a political and geographical standpoint, it was an achievement in the region that there were no protests or outbreaks of violence that occurred during the transition. Kuwaiti’s desire stability and this has been achieved.

A series of public lectures and workshops will take place this week to address the issues of family support, empowerment for women in the workplace and political process, and prevention of domestic violence.

A new company has been formed to develop a tourist infrastructure in Kuwait.
The ministries of Kuwait and Saudi Arabia plan to join forces to combat terrorism. Both countries are concerned about attacks from Iraq.

I’m finally in my last week of statistics. As you can guess, Kuwait has been the perfect place to do homework.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list