Kuwait. Still here, still bored. Even today’s paper has little of interest about Kuwait. The police report is short today. A few thefts, an opium drug bust, some deportations. We went a whole day without a major car crash.

The best article of the day comes from Saudi Arabia. It’s too long to copy so I’ll paraphrase. The article interviews a shop owner and his covert card and heart operation.

"Cupid flutters over Saudi Arabia despite Valentine’s Ban"

Five years ago a religious fatwa was issued that banned Valentine’s Day and declared it a Christian pagan holiday that no Muslim should celebrate. Five years later, the spirit of Valentine’s Day lives on in Saudi Arabia. Last year the shop owner lost $53,000 worth of merchandise on relgious raids on his shop. This year he was taking no chances. Two of the store’s employees stand outside with cell phones to keep an eye out for the religious police while customers shop in the secret back room for hearts, cards, teddy bears, and chocolate. Once woman dashed out of the shop fully veiled with 150 red balloons tat she stuffed in a car before the car sped away in a scene that resembled a bank holdup rather than a shopping spree.

I get to leave Kuwait in 30 hours.

Comments

  1. Wow--Sure makes Americans seem less romantic. I didn't RISK MY LIFE to buy my girl candy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    I just now found your comment on my Cruise Trek post on my blog. It's good to hear from you! Wow, you are in Kuwait?? But about to leave, which must be a relief. I'll have to read some of your previous posts to get the backstory on your trip over there. I hope you are doing well and that you will have a safe trip home. Live long and prosper - talk to you soon!

    David Westbay

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list