There are only one joy that go with sitting on an airplane for 9 or more hours and in the last year, that joy has been robbed from me. For whatever reason, my movie screens are constantly not working. This has happened at least 5 times in the last 10 months and it’s getting old. I did okay on the flight to Zurich, there was only one channel that was messed up. Today, I was looking forward to seeing the end of "Walk the Line" and all of "Pride and Prejudice." I knew I was in trouble the minute the plane took off and the music audio went out. Sure enough, the air map failed to display and the movie screen was blank. Oddly, the movie audio is working fine but the music audio is out. I could listen to "Fever Pitch" and watch the movie across the aisle but it’s too much work. I’m almost done with my book and have only 2 hours of battery on my computer. It’s going to be a long flight.

Zurich has some surprises for me. I expected a clean city but even Zurich has plenty of graffiti, trash in the river, and lot’s of traffic congestion. For a trilingual nation, there were plenty of people who only spoke German or French. Getting around was easy but not as easy as London or Barcelona. Still, it’s not a bad city and it’s worth two days but I wouldn’t stay longer. Instead, I’d head off to other parts of the country. My hotel had great coffee and friendly hotel staff so that says positive things about the city. My favorite travel sport, newspaper reading somehow eluded me on this trip so I have no idea what the Swiss think about world topics.
I’m going to be home for a whopping 5 days before I head off to St. Louis for two weeks of work. I think someone looked at my condo on Friday but there’s been no offer, so that must have not gone well. Too bad, because I left the heat on for them and this month’s energy bill will be expensive.

I met some lady from DC and saw my fate twenty years from now. It’s not a bad fate so I can make peace with it now. She was flying to Zurich for the same reason I did. She could get United miles and maintain her status and stay at the Marriott for free using hotel points. We had a good conversation comparing Marriott’s of Europe and if they were worth cashing in points for. Her recommendation is the Brussels’s Marriott. Mine is still the Paris Marriott. If only that darn Dublin Marriott hadn’t decided to close for the summer for remodel. Anyhow, some friends have influenced me to save up hotel points for a while and do a major cash in at a later date. Generally I prefer to use the free nights as they come in just in case the program ends or Marriott goes under someday.

That upcoming St. Louis trip – all Marriott.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog