So my last two days in Chicago have been dedicated to learning more about the Halal food certification process for Malaysia. You'd think that since I do this for the Middle East, I would know what's going on. Well, no one Muslim group or country can agree on a standard, so Halal is different in each country of the world. The Middle East is easy to the scientific details that are examined on each food specification sheet when getting Malaysian certification! During one session, there was an impromptu debate between Malaysia, Singapore, and the UK team all stating why yes there should be a standard, and that it should be theirs. The New Zealand guy looked on in amazement that they couldn't agree and the Egyptian guy sort of dismissed the conversation.

The group that attended was mostly comprised of scientists for food companies that have to make sure their formulas are Halal. No alcohol, no gelatin, no pork, no by-products of any disguised as enzymes or mono-diglycerides.

Then there was me.

And the two goat farmers.

Toss in the random dairy guy and we had a team.

I know far more about goat farming than I ever wanted to. The other impromtu debate was on what to call a goat or a sheep. Is it Mutton, Lamb, or something else? It turns out that if you are a UK country it's one thing, American another, and Middle East - Mutton works for all. Then, there are even more specific terms for goats and sheep depending on their age. Less than 24 months, more than 12 is a whole other thing. The passions stirred more deeply than the Halal debate. I couldn't believe it.

Turns out that the Amish farmers are already at Halal standards and are considered the most desirable farmers to join the Halal goat farmer association. The Amish goats are rarely rejected for slaughter. The Amish themselves have learned that they can earn 10 cents more per pound if they follow Halal guidelines and sell as Halal. Change comes to us all. Even for Amish goat farmers in Wisconsin.

Fascinating stuff. I spent two days with goat farmers.

At the end, we all left with a great workbook on Halal and Muslim food considerations. We all left with two books on Islam. We all left paranoid about airport security.

So back in my hotel and 5 hours later, I've decided to call it a day. It's 8:30 pm here and time to kick back and watch baseball on TV. Next stop - St. Louis. I'll be checking my bag.

Comments

  1. In the book, "Green Eggs and Ham" page 42 reads "Would you, could you with a goat?"

    It makes me laugh every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list