What a non-event day for being at such a major event. I arrived at the con by 10:30 and decided to skip the Stargate panel since the room was full and do a quick sweep of the art show. By 11:15, I was ready to move on to Hall H for a panel of the upcoming movie "Watchmen." I've read the graphic novel (amazing and it was probably the last comic book I read over 10 years ago) and liked it. But alas, even though that panel wasn't until 11:55, the room was closed and a waiting line was wrapped outside the convention center.

I decided to wander the dealer's room and check out what I had missed seeing the other night. After less than 30 minutes, the crowds were too much to handle and I decided to plop myself on the floor and comtemplate email until the 12:30 sci-fi writer's panel. A few minutes later I was surrounded by a film crew from Spike TV setting up to do an interview with comic book artist Jim Lee. The crew told me I was okay where I was and with a camera in front of me, a boom operator to the side, the interviewer's kit on my left, I was more or less boxed in and ended up getting to be the only observer to a private television interview with Jim Lee. While the opportunity was wasted on me it was still fun to watch the 15 minute Q&A from my unique vantage point. Interview over, I decided to join my own kind (sci-fi female fans who read, over 40) and go to the Connie Willis panel.

Even this seemingly non-important panel had a waiting line and I joined the crowd and was herded by a rather bossy fan who needed us all to move to close any gaps or she's freak out. Connie was entertaining, funny, and as good of a storyteller in person as in her books. Her last question from the audience had to do with coincidence, fate, accidents, and the paths we can take or not take based on chance. I mention this because I have a story to share about all this at a later date, but as I left the panel, I had the random phone call of chance. To plug Connie's work, my favorite book of hers is The Domesday Book about a British time traveler going back in time to learn more about the plague. London, history, death, romance, parallel stories going on with the cast in the present day, and an unusually compelling glimpse into what might have been going on in villages as the plague approached.

After the chance phone call it was off for a salad and the I decided to get to the Ghost Hunters line 45 minutes early. Well 45 minutes early was probably 30 minutes to late and the line was already past the capacity of the room. At that point I gave up and called it a day.

I'll try again for the big events on Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog