After sitting through numerous independent films I finallly hit pay dirt. Once in a great while you really do come across a film so powerful that it is hard to put your emotions into words. That film is "Saints and Soldiers." I went into the movie knowing only that it had won quite a few Jury and Audience Awards at various film fests, that the lead character was a Latter Day Saint and that it was set in WWII.

I left the theater with a greater understanding of the complexities of that war, the camaderie of soldiers, and the futility of battley. The story follows the plight of 5 men behind enemy lines and what they need to do to get important intelligence into the hands of the allies. The m en are mostly strangers who are thrown together in the worst of circumstances. At the end I was unable to leave the theater until the end credits as the movie touched me so much I didn't trust my eyes to stay dry.

"Saints and Soldiers" plays in select North San Diego County theaters this weekend, so Sunday, 10/10 is your chance to see this movie. If the movie does well for this special test weekend it may open in wider release in several markets. If you get the chance, I recommend this movie over most the usual weekend fare. For more info go to:

http://www.saintsandsoldiers.com/

And for a good background interview check out:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/saints_and_soldiers/about.php

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list