I just returned from the "Primer" screening at the SD Film Fest and since I'm not tired, I might as well blog. "Primer" won the Jury Award at the Sundance Film Fest which was surprising because it's a sci-fi movie. The fan sites have given this movie good reviews so the movie group and I went to see it for ourselves. The night started well since we all met at The Field for Irish food and Guiness. Yum! Then it was on to Starbucks to get the espresso in us to counteract the beer so we could watch the movie.

As we went over to the theater we had the Gaslamp sideshow to keep us entertained and after a slight delay we were allowed into the theater.

I think I was bored with the movie within the first 5 minutes.

Luckily it was only 90 minutes long.

Someone reading this may want to see this movie so I won't spoil it. The basic premise is guys building something in a garage and not sure what they have. One of them realizes that it is a time machine and time travel is possible within limited parameters. What would happen? If you enjoy puzzle movies such as "Memento" then you may want to give "Primer" a try. Remember that it is an independent movie so there is no Hollywood glamour or polish. There is an idea, stuff happens along the way, the movie ends. If you follow abstract you'll be okay. I was just distracted and kept looking at the theater escape lighting along the stairs and floor. If only I could just go.

Usually at a film fest you get a Q&A with the film maker after the screening. We had no such luck tonight and that final piece of the puzzle was missed. When the film ended we all just sat there. Then we left and here I am.

As always if you want to learn more about "Primer" check out the IMDb. I notice that it only has a 3.7 rating so most of the world is with me. Primer: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/

I do need to add that anyone who makes a truly independent film, finishes it, and gets accepted into a festival has accomplished a great thing and should be recognized for their hard work and achievement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list