More AT&T Hell

When you're on hold for an hour, you can get a lot done. After I filed my complaint with the CPUC, I then went to the AT&T website and pared down my complaint to 1000 characters to fit in their online format. Then I found the name of the CEO and the corporate address and decided to be the customer who writes the letter to the CEO. I've seen the results that happen when letters go to CEO's and they do get results. But as a Blogger, I can't just be satisifed with a print version, so here you go:

August 4, 2006

Edward E. Whitacre, Jr.
175 E. Houston
San Antonio, TX 78205

Dear Mr. Whitacre,

AT&T has failed to comply with promised service and as a result, the unexpected unprofessional customer service has been a disappointment. I recently moved and wanted to resume my AT&T DSL service. When I called to start the service, I was told that it was available in my area, given a rate, and told that service would be activated by 5:00 pm on July 3, 2006. Since the DSL service was available, I decided to go ahead and activate a phone line as well, but only because I was told that DSL was available.

On July 3rd, there was no service to the house. The next day was a holiday and I left the country for vacation. Upon my return on July 9th, there was still no DSL or dial tone on any of the phone jacks. I called for service on July 10th and was told at that time that DSL was not available in my area and a tech would need to come look at the phone line to find the problem. Since the only reason I ordered a phone line was for DSL, I canceled the service and told the tech not to come.

On July 17th, I was issued a bill for $74.32. Since I was out of the country again, I had to wait until July 27th to call customer service. That’s when the true disappointment of AT&T began. I was first transferred, then disconnected after being in the phone queue. I called back and was transferred again. It is frustrating to have a concern, have to redial again, only to listen to the voice recognition program again, while needing to speak to a CSR. I was given a number to call for advanced problems and spoke with a CSR who could not believe that I was going to void a contract and request removal of the charge. After I convinced her that I was not going to pay the bill, I was told that my request would go to Escalations and that I would have a return call within 3 business days.

On the 6th day, (today), August 4, 2006, I called back to find out what happened. The CSR told me that they have been short staffed and that Escalations is taking regular calls and that might be a reason why no one contacted me. AT&T’s staffing issues are not my concern, they are AT&T’s. I was told that someone from Escalations would call me back today. At 2:59 pm, Escalations called and told me that they were the wrong department and I would need to speak to Final Billing. I was transferred and put on hold for 10 minutes. The person who answered did not even read the file first and started asking if I wanted to put in an application to start service. I requested that she read the file first before starting to ask me questions. She then asked if I wanted to pay or dispute the bill. I said dispute and I was put back on hold at 3:11 pm.

It is now 4:08 pm. I have been on hold for nearly an hour. I suspect that I will be on hold until 5:00 pm when the people in queue are disconnect by AT&T at the end of the day. While I have been on hold, I took the time to read the fine print on my final bill and found the information on how to file a dispute with the California Public Utilities Commission. I went ahead and did so. I then filed a condensed version of the story in 1000 characters or less on the AT&T website. I found your name and this address on the AT&T website and the 2006 Quarterly Report. I hope this is the correct address for your mail but if not, then all I have accomplished in an improvement in my typing skills.

Karen Reel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog