"Pretty Woman" with Julia Roberts has never been one of my favorite movies. An over the top Cinderalla story with Cinderella the beautiful hooker needing a rescue, it has always struck me as the most annoying movie ever. Every scene is contrived to make Julia Roberts just look such the Pretty Victim.

But I rant. Today I learned that one aspect of that movie really can happen.

It starts, as all good Saturday's do at Karl Strauss. Ms. Kitty and I had spent a good 4 hours scrapbooking and it was time for lunch and beer. Beer arrived and we both decided on Drunken Shrimp. Now it's hard to really put this in words. I had just finished taking a beer photo on my cell phone and sent it to Homer. I then turned my attention to carefully cutting my shrimp and had shoved a forkful of mashed potatoes in shrimp in my mouth. In other words, I was a happy eater.

I was unaware of Ms. Kitty's silent struggle.

The next thing I knew was that a sauce coated shrimp tail was flying past my face at Mach 5 and kerplunk!, there was a shrimp tail sitting next to me. I saw all of this out of my side vision but somehow I also was able to take in Ms. Kitty's utter look of astonishment. I almost spit out a full mouth of mashed potatoes.

In retrospect, that would have been the better thing to do because it was really hard keeping my mouth closed while tears of laughter started streaming down my face. No one even noticed the flying shrimp which was surprising, given that there were people on both sides of the booth. Lucikly my beer was intact. Shrimp sauce was near the glass and the shrimp tail was next to me, but there were no casulties today.

I laugh even now.

So back to the Pretty Woman connection. There's the scene where Julia Roberts is trying to get the snail out of the shell and she sends it flying. The waiter catches the snail and comments "it happens all the time." Never in my life have I ever seen anything to give me any reason to believe that flying snails are common in restaurants.

Until today. The shellfish has flown and proven me wrong.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog