If you watch CNN/Fox/MSNBC at all, then inbetween the whales, bears, missing kid in Portugal and missing mom where ever, you may have noticed that Lebanon is back in the news. Of course the clip that is shown is only about 15 seconds whereas the whales get a whole news story and biology lesson.

But for those of you that noticed, you've probably figured that I wouldn't be able to keep quiet much longer. So, it's time to put this into perspective from my point of view. It won't provide you peace of mind but some of you worry anyhow so I figure it doesn't matter. This is a glimpse into my reality.

The Palestinian camp in Tripoli is not someplace that I would normally go to. But, I have been to Tripoli and when the shooting broke out in the streets and the main road was closed, well it's the main road. There is a Hardee's there and they had to close early that day. Since a coworker spends everyweekend with his family in Tripoli, I called to find out what was going on. Being that this was 6:30 am California time on a Sunday, I made a comment about the birds waking me up early. His reply, "Karen, you complain about birds, I have bullets keeping me awake."

You can't argue with that. I went out and apologized to the birds.

That night, a car bomb went off near a mall in Achrafieh, the Christian part of Beirut. Achrafieh is where there are a lot of cafes, restaurants, and an upscale neighborhood where people walk their show dogs. The Hardee's is on the other side of the mall. I've eaten at that mall. Yes, at any given time, I would be in that area on one of my trips.

The next day, a car bomb went off in Verdun. This is an upscale Sunni neighborhood where my hotel is located. While I don't wander outside by myself at night in this area, it's considered fairly safe and the worst thing that happens is taxi drivers honk at you because no one walks if they can ride. Many a time during the day, I have done the coast walk from the hotel down to Starbucks.

These are normal neighborhoods in abnormal times. I have to say that given Virginia Tech, Columbine, the Amish tragedy, and a long list of other mass murders, the US is not safer than Lebanon. We don't have car bombs (except for the mob guy who was blown up in Vegas last month) on a normal basis. But safety is a matter of trust in society and that trust is breaking down. In a small country like Lebanon, the breakdown is even more rapid when the government is paralzyed out of stubbornness. As I watch the news, it's always conservatives this or liberals that. These are the same types of polarization that are leading to the breakdown in the Middle East.

This hasn't been a good week in Lebanon. The rest of the week isn't going to get any better either. I can only hope that this will wake up the sluggish government and provide some resolution. If Lebanon, a democratic & European country falls into Islamic control, it's only a matter of time before the terrorism moves into the US.

I have no resolution or happy ending to this to offer you. Lebanon's drama will have to play out one way or the other. All we can do is watch and learn.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for bringing me your take on such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen,
    Just read The Sneeze and they have a funny take on a Star Trek thing. Thought you would enjoy.
    Be careful out there!

    http://www.thesneeze.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list