I'm home and it's time to get caught up on movies! I don't think I'll ever get caught up, there's just too many releases out there to see. This time I didn't even see something on my list, but instead I chose The Clearing, with Robert Redford.

The Clearing is not for everyone or even most people. It's a very slow paced, in depth look at three people, the kidnapper, the kidnapee, and the worried wife at home. None of the three are what they seem, the good guy (Redford) is flawed and cheats on his wife. The bad guy (Willem Dafoe) loves his wife. The wife dealing with the ransom (Helen Mirrin) goes through all the range of emotions of how she feels about her marriage and the movie is her experience of resolution. The three leads are great and if you see this movie it's because of them. I did find all the close-ups a bit distracting at times. They can only pour their emotions out on screen so much.

The running time is 91 minutes but it does go slowly and felt like 2 hours. The movie did what it set out to do, show us a glimpse of three people in a terrible situation, and how each person has a different experience.

If you like this type of movie and have the 91 minutes to spare, see the movie. Otherwise skip it and just go see Shrek 2 instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innsbruck - here despite it never being on my to-see list